From time to time you may notice what appears to be "wet spots" on your candle, as well as what looks like frost - contrary to what might be your first reaction, these are not flaws. These are a common characteristic of pure natural wax and actually a testament to the lack of paraffin and artificial preservatives in our natural wax candles.
These can appear during the candle making process or even after due to changes in temperature. Frosting or wet spots do not affect the scent throw or burn quality of our candles.
You can safely burn our candles with these properties without worry.
Why can I see frosting on my candle?
This is a particular crystal growth of vegetable oils. It will cause the candle to look dry, or have a crumble like appearance on the top which is simply a characteristic of that crystal structure. It has nothing to do with the candle "drying out". On our premium range of candles we attempt to get around this characteristic and provide a more aesthetically pleasing look by lightly melting the surface of the candle after it has solidified.
Why are there wet spots on my candle?
Candle makers refer to the spots or patches in container candles that appear to have air, or a wet spot showing through the glass and the candle wax. Wet spots are extremely common and will not affect the performance of your candle, just the aesthetic appeal.
They are caused by several factors with the most common being extreme changes in temperature. For example, we pour and store all our candles at temperatures of between 15 - 20 degrees celsius. When we post our candles during the winter they could be in a van or warehouse overnight that might be 5 degrees or colder, this sudden change in temperature can cause the wax to retract from the glass.
Why is my candle sweating?
Our natural wax blend is sensitive to extreme temperature change and as such due to the high concentration of natural essential and fragrance oils small amounts can separate from the wax, this does not affect the quality of the candle, the way it burns or the scent throw. Simply wipe the excess oil off with a dry paper towel and light your candle!